We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Monday, June 20, 2011

Pushing My Limits

Monday, June 20, 2011
Rachel
Today's mileage: 7.5 miles

I'm already SO happy I've committed to running my first half-marathon over labor day weekend and that I've committed to training "virtually" with Selena and Michelle. I skipped the gym this morning, but threw some running clothes in my bag on the way out the door. Knowing that my race will be here before I know it; wanting to be accountable to myself, these ladies, and this blog; and also needing to burn off some of what I ate (and drank) during this past weekend which was full of celebrations; I talked myself into leaving work a bit early to get a long run in.

The weather was perfect; cool and humid after raining all day in Denver. And I pushed myself to complete the longest run I have done in at least 15 years. Really!!! It was tough...I definitely had to dig deep for the last couple miles. But I kept reminding myself how awesome I would feel when I could collapse on the couch tonight after a hot shower, knowing that I did it! And what a glorious feeling it is....

During my run, I reflected on what an amazing thing the human body is. I remembered that six months ago, I couldn't even run 2 miles. I reveled in how amazing I feel after losing nearly 50 pounds since I started this journey of health and healing. And I imagined myself running 13.1 miles. It seems pretty far out of reach right now. But I know that if I keep pushing myself further and further each week, I'll get there. And I can't wait.....