We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Fuel


Friday, June 24, 2011
Rachel
Today's mileage: 3.1 miles

Had a nice short run this morning after not running since Monday evening. I felt a bit sluggish and decided that Monday to Friday might be too long of a running lull for most weeks.

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a link to a post I wrote on my other blog about green smoothies. I've been drinking green smoothies on and off for over 3 years and love to tell other people about them. I usually have a green smoothie before every workout and am amazed at how it can fuel my body without making me feel like I'm running around with a stomach full of food. LOVE GREEN SMOOTHIES!
  • Green Smoothies are a blended mixture of raw leafy greens, raw fruit or veggies, & water.
  • Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients.
  • Green smoothies, as opposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
  • By consuming two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated.
  • When you consume your greens in the form of green smoothies, you can greatly reduce the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
Check out the link above to get a lot more information about green smoothies and how to make them correctly so they taste delicious!