We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Alarm Dispute

The Alarm Dispute
Before you face the run, you have to face the alarm.

Monday, June 20th
Michelle Marison
Today's milage: 3 miles

Setting: My bedroom, 11:00 p.m. on Sunday night. Rain softly hitting the roof, an exhausted couple lies in bed. One has a book propped up against her knees, the other is staring up at the vacant ceiling. 

Jeremy: What time is the alarm set for?

Michelle: 5:15 a.m.

Jeremy: What? I wish I would have known that. I would have gone to bed 45 minutes ago.

Michelle: But I want to get in a good run in the morning before work.

Jeremy: Set it for 5:45 and just get out of bed. No snooze, just get up.

Michelle grunts and reluctantly rolls out of bed to set the alarm on her phone for 5:45 a.m. 


She snoozes the alarm until 6:15 a.m. the next morning and her shoes hit the pavement 1 hour later than she wanted to.


End scene.


This is an all too familiar conversation Jeremy and I engage in at night followed by an all to familiar morning routine. Time to break the routine. When a half marathon is on the line snoozing ... it's not an option. So long snooze. Oh and there is also an alarm negotiation that needs to take place. Before I can face my run, I have to face my alarm.