We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Friday, July 8, 2011

The Power of Positive Thinking

July 7, 2011
Rachel
Today's Mileage: 8.0 miles

Today I did the same 8-mile route that I did last Thursday. And what a different experience it was. Last Thursday I was feeling really positive about my ability to do my longest run to date during this training session. It was nice and cool, I had the trail to myself, and I mostly enjoyed myself.

Here's a little glimpse of my train of thoughts during my run today:

"Wow, it's really hot. I'm not sure if I can make it in this heat. Did I drink enough water? What happens if I faint? Who will help me? Will anyone find the business card I put in my shorts so they can notify someone that I'm unconscious on the trail? I should have brought more water. How am I ever going to run a half marathon if I already feel horrible 2 miles into this run? Man that guy is running really fast...why am I running so slowly? What do I do if I start feeling dizzy? Would it be weird to go to one of those fancy houses over there and tell them I'm having a medical emergency. Wow...I really need to pee. What should I do about that? Can I go behind a tree? There are probably snakes behind those trees. I'll never be able to start up again if I stop to pee. Maybe I should turn around now and just do 6 miles today....."

And on and on and on. I clearly knew that these negative thoughts started the vicious cycle of feeling bad while running and then having more negative thoughts. I tried really hard to have enough control over my thoughts to start thinking positive thoughts instead, like, "hey, this feels great! I'm so proud of myself for doing this! I love this song! What a gorgeous sunny day!". But I seemed to have no control and my mind kept wandering to those negative places.

And yet, I completed the run, and felt very positive about it afterward. And I learned a lot about how important it is to try to keep positive thoughts in your head while training and racing.