We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Feelings Count

August 10, 2011
Rachel
Today's Mileage: 5 miles

Let's not forget that the little emotions are the great captains of our lives and we obey them without realizing it. ~Vincent Van Gogh, 1889

This running thing is so mental. Granted, my body is conditioned for the running and I've worked hard to get it here. But my mental state, my attitude, seems to have even more of an impact on the success of my run and how I feel during it.

I went to bed last night and woke up this morning in a negative emotional state. And boy could I feel it during my run this morning. I just felt like I was dragging myself along and could not hit my stride.

However, I also think that my run this morning put me in a better mood and somewhat helped me change my attitude going into the rest of my day. So, needless to say, I'm glad I dragged myself through those miles...I'd probably be in even more of a funk if I hadn't done it.