We are three friends in Colorado who are virtually training together to run a half marathon during the fall of 2011. Some of us are veteran half marathoners, and for some, this will be our first. We'll be using this blog to document our training and nutrition, our struggles, and to inspire each other and you!

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Four Days...

image from Saucony's awesome Find Your Strong ad campaign

September 1, 2011
Rachel
Today's mileage: 2.5 miles

Woke up at 5 a.m. and went back to the soft surface track at the high school. It was still dark, there was a warm breeze, I had the track to myself, and I put the Freight Hoppers on the iPod.

It's easier to tell when I finally warm up when I'm running on a track and know exactly when I hit my stride...it's at about 1.5 miles. The first 1.5 miles always feels horrible. By 2-3 miles I've found my rhythm and am starting to feel good.

I stopped at 2.5 miles because I know that this week is not about getting miles in...it's just about moving my body a little each day to stay fresh and focused.

I spent a lot of time visualizing the race during my run this morning. I imagined all the people that will be there cheering me on and wondered if I'll be able to smile and wave when I see them. I reminded myself to START SLOW! There's always the tendency to start a race fast, but there's no reason for me to do that when I have 13 miles to go.

Tomorrow I'll rest. Saturday I'll probably go for a brisk walk at some point and stretch. Sunday morning I want to get up really early so that I have no trouble falling asleep at 9:30 Sunday night, so I might just go to the rec center and stretch and sit in the hot tub.

I can't believe the race is just a few days away!!!